Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I am going to raise my children to be "UnAustralian"

Nope - no typo there, in all seriousness, I am going to raise my children to be "UnAustralian".

I don't want my children to become what many Australians are - racist, unempathetic and spoiled.

We live in a blessed country, but although there are cultural differences, financial differences, "colour differences" and huge differences in opportunities between Australia and other countries - we are made of the same flesh and blood and bones as every other human on this planet. It isn't like there is an "Australian" DNA and a "Japanese" DNA - we are all mixed up all over the world. And I do not want my children to develop the mindset of "I am Australian and they are not so I have superior rights".

The "group membership" thing is a widespread mentality that all humans share - which does usually lead to group rivalry and prejudice etc. But to the best of my ability I want to bring my children up differently.

My children live in Australia and were born in Australia and have the right to access opportunities in Australia. But I will never label them "Australian" because they are so much more - they are part of the human race. My children technically have white skin, but I will never label them "white" because that would be just as weird as if I taught them to categorise their group membership by "blue eyed" - it's just what they look like, not who they are. I will teach my kids that although they were fortunate to be born here, that there is plenty to share, and that giving others who were not fortunate to be born here the same opportunities is not a threat but actually a positive sign that we live in a good country. I will teach them that giving to the less fortunate in ALL parts of the world is a good thing because they are human just like us - why should we "only" look after Australians... why should a place of birth limit our generosity and our compassion for others.

I will never teach my childrent to discriminate against others on any basis - that even as Christians we do not need to fear that which is foreign to our beliefs - Jesus hung out with the SAMARITANS, the LEPERS - with those who were NOT accepted. So although I never plan on wearing a durqua, or denying my own faith etc - I do not need to discriminate against those who are different to me because we may be members of "subgroups" but ultimately - we are all humans.

I hope my children become as "UnAustralian" as I am - or more so!!! Because frankly, the general attitude of most Australians towards other nationalities disgusts me and if that is what the Australian identity is built on... count me out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment